Saturday, October 2, 2010

Yes, Dad...I finally mowed the lawn


I mowed a lawn for the first time in my life. Sounds quite pathetic after existing 30 years. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit it, mostly I am just proud to have evaded this daunting assignment...with 3 other brothers, there was always someone else to do the job.

My first attempt resulted in a 2nd degree burn after touching the engine with the back of my hand. One good benefits to working at a hospital is free doctor consultations if you have an "in." A tetanus shot and silvadene cream is helping this heal nicely. Watching my flesh melt was a good intro to the Halloween month!

8 comments:

Michael and Julie said...

ehem! 3 other brothers? i was out there with the rest of them! how did i not pick up on the fact that you never mowed the lawn? i cried everytime i had to trim because the grass blades would flick back on my legs! ouch. that aside, i do hope your hand feel better! looks like it hurts!

Risa Stumm said...

Congrats!! You can now check that off your list! ... but Beth, Brian and I are still confused on one thing... WHERE'S THE GRASS?!! :)

Risa Stumm said...

OH, haha, pardon the last comment... Before I blew up the picture, the grass looked like a bunch of rocks. Ahem. I'll look closer next time. :)

overlyactive said...

I can't believe you burned your hand on the engine. Don't give up, I'm sure the next time you won't get hurt, well I never have and I do it every week! Maybe you better start wearing gloves. Oh and don't wear flip flops when you mow!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That looks like it hurts pretty bad. I have to admit that I've never mowed the lawn either! haha

Beth and Wayne said...

Wayne promised he would let me practice and perfect my lawn mowing skillz :( and yes, he also promised to buy gloves in my size.

To Julie, I must not have taught you my tricks of getting out of it...sorry! I did use the edger though and those blade flicks really are wicked!

My hand is healing quite well, so I will be ready for the next mow job.

p.s. Whitney, hold out as long as possible!

Jamie Hyatt said...

Ow, that looks so sore. Better luck next time.

cfish77 said...

Good for you! I had to learn that because there were no brothers around to do stuff like that. Besides, if I mowed my grandma's lawn, I got to drive around on her riding lawnmower!

I don't like trimming either but for different reasons.